Spinach is a wonderful green leafy vegetable and is recognized as one of the functional foods for its nutritional antioxidants and anti-cancer properties.
- 1 1/2 pounds baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic (6 cloves)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Sea or kosher salt, optional
- Rinse the spinach well in cold water to make sure it’s very clean. Spin it dry in a salad spinner, leaving just a little water clinging to the leaves.
- In a very large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil and sauté the garlic over medium heat for about 1 minute, but not until it’s browned.
- Add all the spinach, the salt, and pepper to the pot, toss it with the garlic and oil, cover the pot, and cook it for 2 minutes.
- Uncover the pot, turn the heat on high, and cook the spinach for another minute, stirring with a wooden spoon, until all the spinach is wilted.
- Using a slotted spoon, lift the spinach to a serving bowl and top with the butter, a squeeze of lemon, and a sprinkling of sea or kosher salt.
- Serve hot.
Per Serving: Calories: 109; Total Fat: 6 grams; Saturated Fat: 2 grams; Protein: 3 grams; Total carbohydrates: 13 grams; Sugar: 0 grams Fiber: 5.5 grams; Cholesterol: 5 milligrams; Sodium: 821 milligrams
Read more at: www.foodnetwork.com
Image Credit: www.weightwatchers.com
Credits: Neha Ghosh - http://putthatcheeseburgerdown.com/2013/06/28/recipe-garlic-sauteed-spinach/