7 Quick & Healthy Microwave Indian recipes for Breakfast
A microwave is one of the most underrated devices present in your kitchen. It saves time, makes your work easier in the kitchen but most often, it is used just to reheat and defrost food; especially breakfast. This practice stops today because we are about to share some exciting healthy breakfast recipes that take only minutes to prepare and serve. Now, morning breakfast items will never be boring.
Recipe 1: Rava Pongal
Rava Ponga is a traditional South Indian dish that is not only a mouth-watering delicacy. It is a healthy breakfast item that is made with the richness of rava and moong dal.
The dish is flavoured up with a dash of ginger and spices like cumin seeds and pepper as well. If you are a lover of ghee then surely, you cannot miss this delicacy as a dollop of ghee is added for consistency and taste.
Usually, it is made during the season of Pongal, but this amazing dish does not need a reason to be made. So, try out this simple recipe here now!
|Fine roasted rava||1 Cup|
|Green gram dal||1/3 Cup|
|Cashew nuts||5 to 6|
|Cumin seeds||1 tsp|
|Ghee||3 to 4 tbsp|
|Ginger||A small piece cut finely|
- Take a micro-safe bowl and add the green gram dal.
- Add 2 cups of water into this bowl and make sure it cooks well in the microwave [high] for 15 minutes.
- Don’t forget to keep stirring every three minutes.
- You can also spread a little ghee on it so as to prevent spilling.
- It is now time to add the roasted Rava to it and the remaining amount of water.
- Once you add the ingredients, please micro high this mixture for another three to four minutes, stirring once in between.
- Now, add the crushed pepper, curry leaves, salt, roasted cashews, ghee, cumin seeds, and ginger to it.
- Once, you mix it well with a stirrer, micro high for another minute.
- If the Pongal is still watery, you must micro high again for a minute or two.
- Allow a standing time of 2 to 3 minutes. The dish is ready to be served now.
- You can serve this dish hot with chutney or sambar to heighten the taste and flavour.
Rava pongal is a dish that can be enjoyed by everybody across all age groups, so don’t be hesitant to try this for breakfast.
Recipe 2: Rava Idli
Rava Idli is a traditional South Indian dish that first originated in the small tiffin centres of Karnataka. A favorite amongst all age categories, the authentic Rava Idli never goes out of style. A dish mostly found in South Indian homes, the dish uses ingredients like- rava, curd and some spices.
The process does not involve grinding and fermentation, making this ideal for a harried breakfast. To cook this dish in a microwave is simple and quick. Here is a recipe that you must try today.
|Rava / Sooji||1 cup|
|Curd / yogurt||1 cup|
|ENO powder / Baking powder||1 teaspoon|
|Oil (To grease the idli moulds)||1 teaspoon|
- Take a microwave safe bowl and add 1 cup of Rava/Sooji.
- In the same bowl, it is time to add 1 Cup Curd/Yogurt.
- Mix them both well to avoid forming lumps. Add a little water to make a thick paste-like batter.
- Let the mixture rest for 20 mins.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the batter.
- Add 1 teaspoon ENO powder/baking soda to the mixture.
- Take a microwave idli mould and grease it with some oil.
- Add Idli mixture to each mould. Make sure you do not overfill.
- Put 1/2 cup of water in a microwave bowl which comes with an idli stand(microwave safe)
- Keep the idli stand into it and cover it with a lid.
- Microwave it for 4-4.5 mins at high power(900 Watts).
Your delicious breakfast is now ready to be served. The dish can be served alongside spicy and flavourful chutneys.
Recipe 3: Dhokla
A popular Indian snack that finds its roots in Gujarat, this delicious dish can be enjoyed as a breakfast as well. The preparation takes less than 30 minutes. So, if you are on the run to your workplace, then this recipe is a saviour. Filled with the goodness of Besan and other spices, this is a favourite for all age groups. Unlike the traditional preparation, this microwave recipe takes less effort.
If this is not enough reason why you should try this recipe out, then what is?
|Ginger paste||1 tsp|
|Green chilli paste||1 tsp|
|Salt & Turmeric||1 tsp|
|Sour curd||1 cup|
|Fruit salt||1 tsp|
| For the tadka:|
Green chillies, julienne
| For Garnishing:|
- Take a microwave safe bowl and mix the besan, ginger paste, chilli paste, salt, turmeric, sugar and oil.
- Along with these ingredients, beat in the curds as well.
- Now, it is time to beat all the ingredients till it becomes smooth.
- Add the water and mix well again.
- Add the fruit salt, stir gently and pour immediately into the greased microwavable dish, cover
- Cook at high power for about 6-8 minutes, rotating the dish once.
- Heat the oil for the tadka, add the rai, kadhi patta and green chillies.
- Saute till slightly colored.
- Add 1 cup of water.
- Cut the dhokla into desired sized pieces and pour the tadka over.
- Garnish with the dhania and coconut and serve.
The dish is ready to be served. It tastes great when you serve it alongside chillies. If not, enjoy it with coconut or green chutney.
Recipe 4: Chivda
The traditional Chivda is a quick fix that can be enjoyed without guilt. This dish is well known to control sugar levels, be rich in iron and low in calories. In fact, it is easily digestable too. With abundant health benefits, this recipe requires basic ingredients and preparation.
Chivda is something that would make for a welcome accompaniment to your meals on picnics, road trips, and game nights too! So, try it now.
| Pressed rice|
4 medium chopped green chilli
|Raw peanuts||4 tablespoon|
|Mustard seeds||2 teaspoon|
|Powdered turmeric||1 teaspoon|
|Powdered sugar||2 tablespoon|
|Refined oil||2 tablespoon|
|Cumin seeds||2 teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||8 leaves|
- Take a microwave-safe bowl and add some oil in it.
- Heat the oil by putting it in the microwave oven for around 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the green chillies.
- Take the bowl out and add the tampering ingredients i.e. cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and green chillies in the bowl and microwave it for 2 minutes.
- Take the bowl out again and add peanuts into the tampered mix and microwave it again for about a minute.
- Now, put asafoetida and turmeric powder in the oil and peanut mix and microwave it for 10 seconds.
- Add poha/ chivda to the bowl and microwave it for 4 minutes.
- Mix them in between after every minute.
Recipe 5: Sevai Upma [Vermicelli Mix]
Sevai Upma is a dish that is not only a simple solution for breakfast problems, but also a healthy one too. Vermicelli is fat-free, low in cholesterol and contains very low sodium. A popular South Indian dish, you can cook it in a single bowl in a microwave. The best accompaniments to this dish include- peanut chutney, curd and pickle and Idli podi.
This recipe below uses the same ingredients as a rava upma. Now, try it at home and let your family be the judges of how good the dish is. If you are worried about the upma becoming too mushy or sticky, don’t worry. This recipe eliminates that.
|Thin Vermicelli /Sevai||2 cups|
|Chopped Onion||1\2 cup|
|Frozen Peas||1\2 cup|
|Green chillies||Either slit or in a paste form, as per taste|
|Roasted Peanuts||Whole or crushed|
|Salt and sugar||As per taste|
|Mustard Seeds||1 tsp|
|Cumin Seeds||1 tsp|
|Curry Leaves and chopped Coriander||3 to 4|
|Turmeric Powder||1 tsp|
- Put the vermicelli in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add oil and mix it all well.
- Microwave it for 1-2 minutes stirring every 30 seconds. When it is red, add some water and let it cook for a while.
- The vermicelli should be microwaved for another 3 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat oil, and add mustard seeds, curry leaves, and cumin seeds.
- Add chopped onions, turmeric powder, salt, sugar, peanuts, green chillies paste/slit and mix it all well along with the vermicelli.
- Now, it is time to garnish the dish with some cilantro. ango
The dish is ready to be served hot. We assure you that this dish will be a blockbuster.
Recipe 6: Mango Chutney
As summer fast approaches us, it is time for the fruit of the season- mangoes! So, what better season to cook some delicious Mango Chutney. It is a spicy, tangy and interesting accompaniment to breakfast items. You can spread it on bread, and serve your kids a fun sandwich as well.
The dish is spicy from ginger and garlic. Meanwhile, it gets a punch of tangi-ness from the acidity present in the mangoes and vinegar. The sweetness arises from the added sugar. If you are an avid lover of the mangoes, then you can eat it alongside rice, chicken and lamb as well.
|1 mango||(10-12 ounces)|
|Finely chopped red onion||1/4 cup|
|White vinegar||2 tablespoons|
|Finely chopped green bell pepper||2 tablespoons|
|Grated fresh ginger||1 tablespoon|
|Ground ginger||1/2 teaspoon|
|Ground turmeric||1/8 teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1/8 teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To taste|
- Peel, halve, and seed the mango, and cut it into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Now, it is time to combine the mango with all the other ingredients in a deep 1 1/2 quart microwave-safe casserole.
- Let it cook well in the microwave, uncovered for 7 minutes.
- Allow the chutney to cool slightly.
- Furthermore, cover the casserole tightly and refrigerate it.
- It will keep for 1 week in the refrigerator.
Now, the dish is ready to be served. Now, isn’t this an interesting take on the traditional mangoes? So, what are you waiting for, try it now.
Recipe 7: Bread Upma
Usually, made with the leftover bread slices, this popular Indian snack is indeed a breakfast special. The dish tastes best when served hot and garnished with abundant cashews. It only takes 15 minutes to make this dish, so get your microwave safe bowls ready. It is time to cook Bread Upma.
|Whole wheat bread||6 slices (cubed)|
|Onion (big and chopped finely)||1|
|Green chillies (slit opened)||2|
|Ginger (minced)||1 tsp|
|Mustard seeds + urad dal||1/2 tsp|
|Dry red chillies||1/4 tsp|
|Asafetida powder||1/4 tsp|
|Curry leaves||Desired level|
- Heat oil in a microwave-safe bowl for 2 minutes on high, add the mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal, dry red chillies, asafoetida powder to the oil.
- Let it cook in a microwave oven for 5 minutes on high until the dals turn golden brown.
- Now add the chopped onions, minced ginger, slit opened green chillies, curry leaves.
- Cook everything again on high for 10 minutes (stir in between) along with turmeric powder and salt.
- Now add the cubed bread chunks.
- Toss everything gently until everything mixes with the spices.
- Cook again for 10 minutes on high (stir in between).
- Serve with ketchup or spicy chutneys.
- Serve with ketchup or spicy chutneys.
Isn’t this a simple dish to cook? We bet your family and friends are going to love this dish.
Now, stop scrolling for inspiration and start cooking some tantalizing breakfast items from the recipes mentioned above. Which one is your favourite dish? Tell us in the comments!